Friday, October 3, 2008

Week 642 of construction

Okay, it hasn't been that long, but some days it feels like that. I do miss my house, but I will try not to complain! I'm just starting to feel very overwhelmed at the things that I need to pick out because of my complete lack of expertise in the interior design area. What if I make a big mistake and have to live with it for the next 30 years??? Okay, I know there are children starving throughout the world, so this seems really dumb to worry about, but it still gives me a lot of stress, especially since I only have 2 or 3 hours a week where I can go places to pick things out without children. Well, now that I got that off my chest, here are the things that have happened in the last week or so. Last Saturday, Ruel spent 12 hours at the house doing the low voltage wiring (phone, Internet) and I assisted him for 4 or 5 hours. The kids were there for a long time and were really good. They got a big kick out of going under the house in the crawl space, which is actually quite tall, and holding the light for Daddy and exploring. Ruel did a fantastic job and got everything done. I wish I'd have taken pictures of the kids "helping" (they were FILTHY!), but I didn't take my camera. Here are some pictures of the results, though:



The forms are in place for the concrete to be poured next week for the front and side walkways and back patio (we chose the brick today for the trim around the edge of the front walkway and steps; Ruel decided on the shape of the walkway and patio):


The insulation is in and the sheetrock work will start next week:



And for the most stressful part of all so far (for me), this is what I was doing Tuesday morning in my 2 hours without kids:


One word: BACKSPLASH (strikes terror in me just typing it!!)





You would think I'm choosing colors for the Sistine Chapel or something at the way I'm hyperventilating just thinking about it! It's just a kitchen, it's just a kitchen, it's just a kitchen............ (I think I can, I think I can, I think I can) Why am I losing my mind??? I just want it to be unique and beautiful and neutral, yet eye-popping and exciting, and to have some pizazz and, and, and............ Is that all even possible?????

1 comment:

Debi said...

Hey girl, you're doing great! Have you asked Shelley for help? Do you remember what she got her degree in? I say call her to ask her opinion! Debi